Rose Overload!

I was asked to bake something for a bridal shower that the second graders (and their parents) are throwing for their teacher. I have been out straight with a million things to do, and of course time was running out. The shower is coming up fast, and I needed to come up with something that was easy and not too time consuming, so that I could get back to my other things, like the two truckloads of topsoil and mulch sitting in my driveway AND getting ready for company that arrives in one day AND pack for our weekend away... which is supposed involve yet another cake that needs to make the ride from NJ to NH... AND my husband told me that he's out of clean socks.
Sigh... cupcakes should've sufficed, but I thought about the kids and what they would imagine a wedding cake to look like. Kind of over the top, as second graders don't usually know when enough is enough, right? And because I know some kids like vanilla and some like chocolate, I had to make both! I was going to just make vanilla, but this being my daughter Julia's class, she wasn't going to let me get away with it. So part chocolate, part vanilla, 3 layer cakes with some major vanilla buttercream.
Unfortunately, the buttercream was too warm, too soft, and I was having some major ugliness. The basketweave didn't want to stay woven! Now, this was a donated cake, so I reallllllly didn't want to spend 3 days on it. I took a break and walked away for a few minutes. I had made a zillion roses but hadn't really thought too much about the layout. Eventually, I just dove back into it and just finished the basketweave and then started covering the cake in roses.

Not sure what else I can do to this cake, unless I just completely cover the cake with roses, and I just couldn't do that.
At this point, I feel like I have arthritis in my hands from the 4 days of shoveling dirt and weeding in the yard followed by the day of rose making. Plus someone is coming in an hour to fix something in my house, and I have frosting all over me, the floor, everywhere. So... done. The fat lady has sung! I think it's crazy! A little much, don't you think? I'm wondering what the parents are going to think of this chaotic rose cake. And Ms. McKeever, the bride to be! Hopefully I will remember to take pictures of her reaction and post them.

Comments

Popular Posts